Tuesday, March 15, 2011

One tired mama

I'll admit it, I'm having a hard time putting together a coherent thought today.  A little over a week ago, just before she turned 10 months old, Bean started walking.  At first it was just a step here or there and then it was a few more, and now she can't get enough of it.  Just when I was getting more comfortable with the crawling and standing, she's walking.  I had just started to give her some space and wasn't convinced she was going to crack her big ol' noggin on everything (and I do mean big, 99% percentile all the way!), and now she's staggering around like a drunken baby and is totally fearless, which means she plows into everything and wipes out regularly.  I can deal with the wipe outs on the carpet, but when she ventures to the tile in the kitchen, I get super nervous and can't be more then an inch away.

All this to say, I'm back to being hyper-vigilant, and it's exhausting.  I know that some bumps and bruises are part of the process, but I'm a worrier.  I always have been.  She is adorable though and I love her little drunken stagger and how proud she is to be moving around on two feet.  I love that she wants to experience all of life and isn't content sitting and watching it go by.  And I especially love that when she took that first little step, Hubby and I were both there and we were able to have this magical family moment together.  I just wasn't expecting it so soon!  I thought I'd have at least another month of crawling and cruising to prepare myself.  I think Pup Pup thought the same thing because he is not quite sure what to make of all of it.  Especially when she wipes out and lands on him.  Poor guy.  His crate is becoming more and more of a refuge.

For now I'm off to bed with the hopes that Bean will sleep through most of the night, so tomorrow I can actually come up with something more thoughtful to say.  Until then, from those of you who have been there before, how do you deal with the nerves without resorting to buying a baby size helmet or rolls and rolls of bubble wrap?

No comments:

Post a Comment