Thursday, April 7, 2011

I want to make a difference

So I spoke too soon, Bean actually slept through the night again last night and I'm feeling much better.  It's amazing what a difference a few hours of uninterrupted sleep makes.  After doing some reading before bed last night, I've been thinking this morning about National Infertility Awareness Week.  I've felt for a long time that I want to be more outspoken about our infertility issues and struggles, but I've never quite known how to do it.  Add to that the fact that I'm not really an outspoken person, and you end up with an idea that rumbles around in my head all the time but never really goes anywhere.  I'm thinking of signing up for the "Bust a Myth Challenge" as a first step.  I really feel like I want to do something in real life too.  I have no problem talking to anyone about what we went through to have Bean.  I bring it up when it's appropriate, but I feel like I want to do more.  I know what it felt like to go through all this and have no real support.  I had a lot of people who loved me and may have wanted to support me, but had no idea how to do it.  I want to be more vocal so that other people don't feel as alone as I did.  I'm just not sure how to do it.  I'm going to have think on that one.  Any ideas would be welcome!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're on to something. I want to do something, too. I just haven't figured it out yet...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I'm here from ICLW, and have enjoyed reading back through some of your posts. It can be hard to figure out what the right thing to 'Do'. I think that having a blog and sharing your story so openly is a pretty incredible thing. Before I found my own voice on this journey I read start to finnish of so many blogs with stories similar to ours. it was amazing, and really helped me gain strength.

    Now that I am feeling stronger I just started a RESOLVE support group. The nearest group is 2 hours away. It is a commitment of one 2 hour meeting and maybe another 30 min of sending email reminders every month.

    I also agreed to set up a meeting with my Congressman as part of RESOLVE.

    and yet, I am still very private about our struggle, and not as comfortable sharing my own story. I am sure that you will find the perfect way to make a difference, and just remember that by being here, you already have!
    -Foxy

    ReplyDelete