Monday, November 28, 2011

All in?

As I've mentioned before, earlier this year I started a moms group for moms who started their families after struggles with infertility or through adoption.  I'm going to start by saying how thankful I am for the people that I've met through that group.  Having other moms who truly understand my situation, has been amazing, and I've found some wonderful friends.  It has also strengthened the other relationships in my life because I don't feel the need to rely so much on the rest of my support system as much when it comes to infertility.  It's hard because the people that I love, and who love me, want to support me so much but they just don't understand how, or what I need, when it comes to the infertility situation.  And I'm glad of that because I wouldn't want them to understand.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone.  So it's been incredible feeling supported by my usual network and my new mom friends.

The problem is that the group is a bit slow starting and I've been putting in a lot of energy without a lot or response from folks.  I've been working on getting the word out, but it's slow going and it's really hard to get input from the people who have responded so far.  There are the faithful few that I can always count on, but I wonder if all the effort is worth it for just a few people.  So I'm at the point where I feel like I either need to go all in and really make a big push to get people more involved, find new members, and give people lots of options of events to go to, or I need to take the friends I've made and walk away. I feel like there's so much potential here and I wonder if I just need to ride out this slow start or if this is a group that I really need, but that other people out there don't have the same feelings for.  Maybe other people don't feel as tied to infertility after they become parents.  I'm not quite sure what to do.  My plan for now is to ride out the holidays, when everyone is so busy anyway, and then see if there is some renewed interest at the beginning of the year.  So we'll see what happens.  Right now I'm just so happy to have a few mom friends who have dealt with infertility.  Maybe I'm expecting too much to have more then that.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea! If there was something like this in my area I would join.

    ReplyDelete